Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Little Entrepreneur

One fine day, I overheard the little lady bugging her grandfather to build a cart for her. She knew she can count on my dad, the great handyman, to build and fix things easily.

After a while, she came running to me and proudly announced:

“Mom, I’m going to be a vendor!”

“What?!” (Of all careers, my daughter wants to become a vendor?)

“Yes, I’m going to sell the accessories I made and put it in a cart. I will sell them to our neighbors!”

With a chuckle, I gave her a big hug. At her age, she should be thinking more on how to spend the day playing and watching cartoons. But business?! I might have passed on to her my enterprising genes or probably the constant talk of doing business with my sister has somehow rubbed on to her.

Though surprised, I was happy and proud to find a budding entrepreneur in the household.

She showed me the items and they already have price tags. They were bead bracelets and necklaces that she created using my old beads and strings. So that’s what she’s been busy about all day.

Although they were pretty enough to sell, I can’t let her go from house to house around the neighborhood pushing a wooden cart! But since I do not want to nip her dream in the bud, after words of appreciation and encouragement, I tried to divert her attention to another project.

It seemed to have worked well, as she did not bother my dad anymore about the cart, or me, about peddling her stuff to the neighborhood.

Until one afternoon when she came rushing to me, catching her breath and incredibly excited. I wondered, what was the excitement all about?

She made her first sale!

Apparently, my aunt went to a neighbor’s house and the little lady tagged along and brought her items for sale. She sold her stuff to our neighbor’s granddaughter, another 6 year old, who was there at that time. She was beaming as she sold 2 bracelets that day.

Inside, I felt a little guilty. Though I was supportive, a little part of me was not convinced that she will be able to sell her creations. She believed so much in her goal, and it happened. Unconsciously, she knew ‘The Secret’ and it worked for her.

This story may seem mediocre to some, but I learned a valuable lesson from her that day. She taught me how to believe again like a child, with all of my heart - in my dreams, goals and plans. But most importantly, in myself.

As we grow older, we tend to forget having absolute faith in what we can accomplish. We constantly doubt our capabilities and let a lot of reasons get in the way of believing that we can make great dreams happen.

It only took a child to remind me of that. And I feel lucky enough.